Monday, June 18, 2012

Idle Hands


I sewed these red work hands as a symbol to myself that  I love to sew and make art.  I hope I get many good things made before I turn into an alter kocker.


Alter Kocker:
pronounced,  OLL-ter KOCK-er

An alter kocker is a man who can no longer do something that he once could. He's an old guy, over the hill, past his prime.
In literal terms, an alter kocker is from German and means “old defecator.” It doesn't sound very nice in translation, but it's a common expression, and sounds gentler and more humorous in Yiddish conversation. Its sense is usually of someone who is inept at whatever he is trying to do. It often has to do with forgetfulness. As soon as somebody says hello to a man but he can't remember his name, the other guy says, “You alter kocker.” The other guy can't admit to himself that he's not too well liked, or not worth remembering. So he blames you.

1 comment:

  1. May it be many, many years before you are an alter kocker!

    Beautiful hands.

    ReplyDelete